Friday, November 29, 2019

Critical Reflection

Module learning
It has been an exciting and memorable journey for me. Over the span of 13 weeks, this module had allowed me to be exposed to a wide range of opportunities to hone my skills in communication. I still remember the times when I had to complete the first few assignments of this module. Struggling with being able to express myself fully and grammars have been quite discouraging. Through completing the various kinds of assignments that targets many aspects of communication, I am certain that the skills that I had obtained will be helpful in the future. My goal for this module is to be able to sharpen my public speaking skills as well as being able to express myself more holistically. This module has given me the platform to be able to express my thoughts fully by being clear and concise in my professional writing. The various opportunities to present, read aloud and share in the class had helped me to build my confidence in public speaking and to articulate well in my speech.

Project learning
It was a privilege to be able to work with people from different backgrounds and strengths. Through the process of working together in a team, it had taught me the importance of interpersonal skills when dealing with humans. It’s always easier to work with machines or animals because they don’t have much feelings. But to work as a team it requires a commitment to one another and that includes complementing one another’s weaknesses. Working together on this project helped me to value teamwork and bearing each other’s load. The process of writing the technical report has helped me to present my idea clearly and in a concise manner. I was amazed at how I was able to digest a research article and was able to come out with a summary based on the article entirely on my own. I am also grateful to have peer feedback from one another as it has helped me, especially in my writing. Being unashamed in allowing others to comment on my work gives me opportunities to learn from them. My takeaways from the project are to be humble to learn from others and to be able to pitch my ideas more holistically.

Presentation Showcase
I was really impressed by team Bricknology that presented the proposal on mycelium bricks which they are confident that it can replace the conventional bricks in Singapore’s build industry. I really like how the team was able to have the composure and control of the entire presentation when standing before a large crowd of audience. The idea that the team shared was clear and concise, they shared with deep conviction which I find it unique compared to other teams. The team stood at a good position which allows them to have a good view of their slides as well as being able to give eye contact to the audience. They also shared with us a video that gives me a clearer understanding of the mycelium bricks. Even though I don’t know much of the building industry, listening to their proposal, has helped me to gain more insights about it. I was really impressed that there is a way to replace the conventional bricks which will be beneficial to preserve our environment for our future generation. I think that the team should share and consider how their solution can be sustainable in the long run. I strongly believe that in any engineering solution, sustainability is the crucial aspect to look into to evaluate if the proposal is a good engineering solution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment